DataYard is looking for an experienced Linux Systems Engineer to join our Technical Operations team in Dayton, Ohio. DataYard’s System team works to maintain, expand and improve DataYard’s cloud infrastructure and manage dedicated customer environments. This position is located at our Tier III data center in downtown Dayton.
- Manage DataYard’s enterprise cloud infrastructure
- Focus on automating system configuration and deployment
- Experience writing automation scripts, preferably in Python
- Troubleshoot support requests from a queue based ticketing system
- Work with other members of DataYard’s Technical Operations team to help deliver services to customers
- Respond to service issues during your on-call rotation
- Support and manage DataYard’s data backup and recovery service
- Leverage your technical skills to identify the future of DataYard’s cloud services
Who You Need to Be
- Self-motivated individual; you don’t ask for things to work on, you find them
- Capable of breaking down complex technical problems into easily explainable parts
- Willing to say that you don’t know the answer, but will find it
- Crave knowledge, but know you can’t learn everything from a book (or the Internet!)
- At least 3 years experience supporting complex Linux server environments, preferably Debian based
- Big problems don’t scare you; instead you look at them with a raised eye brow and a come-hither stare
What You Should Know
- Have a firm grasp of engineering complex Linux server infrastructures
- Be comfortable working with traditional Linux server applications, like Apache, MySQL (MariaDB), PostgreSQL, OpenLDAP, Bind
- Understand the concepts of virtualization and preferrably have worked with VMware or OpenStack in a production environment
- Deep experience in core Internet fundamentals (DNS, SMTP, Routing, etc.)
- Comfortable discussing and working with network fundamentals, like routing and switching
What Would Really Help
- A Bachelor’s Degree in a related field (Computer Science, Management Information Systems, Computer Engineering)
- Experience with configuration management tools, like Ansible/Cfengine/Puppet/Chef
- Experience working with, and creating, RESTful based API services
Who Are We?
DataYard was founded in 1995 in Dayton, Ohio, as Donet (Dayton Ohio Network). The company initially provided Internet services to consumers, but began focusing on the technology needs of businesses a few years later. In 2012, the company was re-branded as DataYard to better represent the mission, vision, and service offerings that the company has grown to encompass.
Through the years, our clients have counted on our stability, reliability, and honesty to keep their businesses secure and running smoothly. Today, we provide clients with mission critical cloud based infrastructure, enterprise class Internet access and rock-solid data center colocation. We believe the blending of these services is the key to our and our customers’ success.
Apply to the job by submitting your resume in PDF format to [email protected]. Please include your resume in PDF format and a cover letter answering the following questions:
- How would you describe yourself?
- What makes you interested in working at DataYard?
- Describe the most difficult problem you have ever worked on.