Connect Email Retention Policy
If you use your DONet e-mail account, you need to be aware of our e-mail archival policy.
Effective March 18, 2002:
DONet will begin enforcing an automatic deletion of old e-mail messages stored on our network. Many of these messages have never been read, or are so old that they are probably no longer useful. DONet is implementing this policy change because we are getting close to having 1,000,000 old or unread messages on our system, which increases our disk storage requirements and decreases the performance of our systems and service.
- Messages in your “Inbox” folder will be automatically deleted after 60 days.
- Trapped spam will be automatically deleted from the “Spam” folder after 15 days.
- Trapped blocked messages will be automatically deleted from the “Blocked” folder after 10 days.
- Messages in your “Sent” folders will be automatically deleted after 30 days.
- Draft DOMail messages will be automatically deleted from the “Drafts” folder after 30 days.
- Deleted DOMail messages will be automatically deleted from the “Trash” folder after 3 days.
This change in policy has its greatest impact on customers that use our DOMail web-based interface as their only method of sending and receiving e-mail from/to their DONet account. Customers using an e-mail program like Outlook or Outlook Express will be unaffected, except for the automatic deletion of trapped spam and blocked messages.
If you use DOMail as your only e-mail tool you can do one of two things to avoid having e-mail you wish to keep automatically deleted:
- Create a new folder in DOMail to store important messages permanently. You may wish to call that folder “Saved Messages,” or something to that effect. Move all the messages you wish to permanently keep in DOMail into that folder. Remember, there is 100 megabytes of disk space provided with your account, and every mail message you permanently store uses up some of that space.
- Setup Outlook, Outlook Express, or another e-mail program as your primary e-mail tool. Move all the messages you wish to permanently keep on your computer back to your DOMail “Inbox” folder, and then download the e-mail directly into your computer using Outlook, Outlook Express, etc.
If you have any questions regarding this policy specifically please contact the DONet by filling out our contact form, or by calling us at (937) 226-6896.